Monday 3 November 2014

Instructions Not Included

Hello! I've started this blog as a way to get my own thoughts on parenting written down. I never really feel like I am figuring something out until a write it down and I thought that a blog might be a neat way to document my journey through mommyhood - you know, the place where you question everything you say and do regarding your child? As I journeyed my first few weeks of mommyhood, I had A LOT of questions, and like many new moms, I took to the internet and family/friends for advice and answers to my questions. I soon learned that what the internet says isn't always the way to do something and family/friends (although advice greatly appreciated) don't always have methods that work for me and my little girl. I'm not saying everything that I write on here will work for anyone else, but I want to document what I am trying and what is/not working for my girl.

A little about me...

A Canadian (currently) living in Scotland, married to my best friend. Why Scotland? Apparently cupid thought it funny to match me with a British man, so necessitates a transatlantic move for one of us. I've been here for almost 5 years, working as a teacher. My experience here has been a blast, but I think it's time to head home. You see, we just had our beautiful daughter in September 2014. She arrived three weeks early to an ecstatic daddy and a smitten momma. Having her has pointed me in the direction of home, to be closer to my family and so that she could grow up knowing both her British and Canadian roots. She's one lucky girl to have been born a citizen of Britain and Canada!

What have I learned so far?

I thought I had my parenting ideals all ironed out. WRONG. I quickly learned that your parenting strategies change as you get to know your sweet bundle, because your strategies might not work for your little one. I've scoured the internet for answers, asked everyone I know for advice but ultimately, what works for my girl is for me to figure it out. Try EVERYTHING! Don't stick to just one method that some whosigigs has written a book on and is 'THE WAY'. Your baby might not like that way (and you might not like it either!).

Everyone has advice for you and (some) disagree with your parenting choices. It's up to me as her momma to continue to do what I think is best for her and not avoid something just because someone tells me to.

What am I doing with this blog?

I'm documenting my journey through mommyhood - a place that I have found exhilarating, mysterious, thrilling, emotional, (the list goes on).

I'm going figure it all out along the way - maybe dispel some theories and strategies out there and give my account of what happened when I tried some of them.



Straight to the point - I know every mom out there has questioned something that she has done. Some moms have avoided doing what they felt was right for fear of others' opinions. I want you to feel empowered by your parenting decisions so here I am, laying it all out on the line. Follow me, judge me, join me. Whatever your way, I'm still doing what I feel is best for my girl, Julia.


Some further reading, hilighting my point: http://www.today.com/parents/exhausted-new-moms-hilarious-take-expert-sleep-advice-goes-viral-6C9559908 


No comments:

Post a Comment