Saturday 13 December 2014

Julia's first road trip!

I never realised how little you can travel with before having a baby. Throw a couple of outfits into a suitcase, grab the make up bag and shower essentials and you're good to go.

Then comes baby.

We were heading up to Aberdeen on Thursday so we could introduce Julia to some family and friends. I was trying to think/remember all the things we would need to bring for our two day trip and ended up making a list (who would've guessed?). I was unsure of how many bodysuits/sleepers/outfits to pack for my sweet girl and decided that since we were going for 2 days, I had better bring 3 of EVERYTHING. (Guess Julia gets her own bag then!) Julia is also in cloth diapers, so thus sparked another debate of how much to bring (I brought 12, just so you know).

I wish now that I had taken a picture of all our stuff before Andrew loaded it into the car. I'm going to have to get better at adding pictures! For now, a list will have to do. For Julia, for our two day trip, we brought:

- 3 short sleeve bodysuits
- 2 long sleeve bodysuits
- 3 sleepers
- 2 thick 'loungers' in case it was chilly
- 3 outfits
- 2 Christmas dresses (we may or may not have had Julia involved in a secret Christmas project)
- 12 cloth diapers
- 4 disposable diapers (she wears disposables at night
- her diaper bag
- 2 blankets
- books/toys
- 1 muslin
- 1 wash cloth
- 1 travel cot

Our car was PACKED. Needless to say, I'm fearful of the luggage that our February trip to Canada will bring!

Our time away was great. As you know, we've been transitioning our girl to a sleeping bag instead of a swaddle. We couldn't have gone away at a better time. We were staying at some friends' house and we decided that it was best/easiest to have Julia in our bed with us for the two nights.

That was just what I needed and I think it's what Julia needed too. We relaxed completely and slept beautifully. Julia was fabulous for the whole time away. She met/was held by so many new faces and she didn't grimace or fuss once! That's my girl!

Now that we are back at home, it's back to business. I delayed Julia's bedtime by an hour as she has been staying up later the last few days. I nursed her, gave her a snuggle and her soother and set her in her crib. I had to return to put her dummy back in a few times since she does still startle awake a few times, but she is now sleeping peacefully in her crib. I think the time away helped us both to relax.

So, do you think I brought too much for Julia's 2 day trip? I'm thinking...possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment