Thursday 18 December 2014

Paleo with a baby

Welcome back, Everyone! I've had a few things on my mind lately, and I've had to start writing down my ideas for a blog post because in usual mother fashion, I forget what I am going to post about as soon as I open the laptop.

What's happening right this moment? Hubby is home until 2pm so he is currently cuddling Julia on the couch while she naps. It's the cutest! I think he enjoys his Daddy cuddles when she sleeps. We've discovered that Julia only has sweet eyes for her Daddy as whenever he is in the room her eyes dart to him and she gives the biggest smiles. Hence, the reason that Andrew always gets the best pictures of her smiling! Here's an example. This picture is after nap time.
Anyways, back to the goal of this post. Something I've really been struggling with since our sweet Julia was welcomed into the world: Eating Paleo.

At the moment, I'm eating about 60% Paleo. Breakfasts and dinners are no problem. Lunch is where I struggle. I'm finding, especially on days when Hubby is out all day (sometimes from 9am-11pm!) I really struggle to eat Paleo. You see, my Paleo choices taken preparation and as anyone with a baby knows, food preparation can be difficult when you have a baby wanting your attention. My Paleo lunch of choice is usually sausages with eggs and veg. Enter first problem, can't cook sausages whilst holding baby. If Julia is particularly fussy then there is no way I'm going to get those cooked. I realise that I can cook these things while she is napping, but our sweet girl usually naps in 30 minute intervals so my time is usually limited.

Eggs don't take long to cook, I realise. But there are only so many times a week I can eat just eggs for lunch.

I love raw vegetables and carrots/cucumber are my usual go-to. They take little time to prepare and I can always go back to them after seeing to Julia.

We always have fruit in the house (I know, not true to Paleo but I love fruit and have never had a problem with it), so that's a nice easy grab too.

My goal now is to always have fresh veg cut and ready to go in the fridge. I'm also aiming to work a 'meal prep' into my schedule so that I can have pricked sausages, slices of bacon, hard boiled eggs, etc in the fridge for those days that I find difficult to get a minute to cook. I'm hoping that this will really help me get back into the Paleo swing of things.

Did you find it difficult to eat healthily with a newborn/infant? What are your quick-fix go-to's?

No comments:

Post a Comment